Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Oh ... Thank Goodness


I went onto the building site today for the first time since construction began and my overwhelming impression is that we have got the dimensions of various spaces right.

I was particularly pleased to see the walls of the Archival Storage and Research Rooms taking shape. (Thats them behind me in the photo). These will house the collections of the family History Group and Horowhenua Historical Society and it has been really hard to visualise the dimensions from a plan. I have been a wee bit anxious but am now very comfortable that these rooms will be fine. I already knew about the high stud but discovering just how high it was under the mezzanine was a revelation.

The meeting rooms are also starting to take shape and even the tiny wee ones (well they look teeny on the plan) will be very comfortable for 4-6 people to hold a small committee meeting or work on a project.

Another decision I am feeling delighted we made now is around the flooring of the mezzanine above where the old deli and meat departments used to be (above me in the photo). We decided to try and retain the existing floorboards even though they looked a bit worse for wear in places and wow! Someone pretty talented has been labouring away up there replacing chipboard patches and rotten boards with good boards salvaged elsewhere. It is looking terrific! Once its sanded and polished up I think it will be a real feature. Sitting up under the ceiling is quite a snug place to be - like a crows nest. You have a lovely view over the whole main space yet feel detached and 'cosy'. This area will be the much yearned for 'Ssshhhhhh' space that so many people have been asking for - the traditional quiet library space for reading and reflection.

I'm so excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment